Netflix Update, Managing Editor, 2017-2018
When my colleague at The Income Store asked me to take over Netflix Update during her maternity leave, I was overjoyed. After all, I — along with several people on my writing and editing team — love Netflix.
Most of the sites we work on are focused on search engine optimization. This one features more timely content and sought to also use social media to grow traffic. We published one or two posts per day with trending Netflix-related news, memes, videos, and “best of” lists, along with tips and tricks. At the end of each month, we published a long list of all the movies and TV shows coming to Netflix and leaving Netflix for the U.S., U.K., Canada, and Australia/New Zealand. We updated the list on a weekly basis. Also, I curated and posted content for our Facebook page, created a monthly newsletter via MailChimp. In addition
Netflix Update – Project Summary
- Role: Content specialist/managing editor
- Link to Site: (Alas, the site no longer exists, so this link takes you to a cached page) NetFlix Update
- Project Description: Manage, produce, and curate content for website, Facebook page, and monthly e-newsletter.
- Sampling of articles (cached pages):
- 12 Awesome Hacks to Get the Most Out of Netflix
- Netflix Launches ‘Queer Eye’ Reboot with a Brand New Fab 5
- Sabrina is Back and She’s Not Your Mom’s Teenage Witch
- 10 Animated Movies on Netflix for Kids and Kids at Heart
- David Letterman to Premiere Friday with an Incredible First Guest (Video)
- How Will Net Neutrality Affect My Netflix Streaming & What Can I Do About It?
- ‘Stranger Things’ Bingers Just Got the Best News Ever…
- Tools: WordPress, Photoshop, Yoast SEO Plugin, AHREFs – Competitive Research Tools and SEO Backlink Checker, Buffer, MozBar, SemRush, Google Sheets, and Grammarly.
Here’s a screenshot from the Netflix Update’s home page.
Facebook Posts for Netflix Update
We started with around 25,000 Facebook followers and doubled that during my year there. The page now has nearly 100,000 fans. To view some of my favorite (and top-performing) posts, click on the thumbnails below.
Content Specialist, The Income Store, 2017-2018
- Edited, managed, and implemented digital content for an Inc. 500 company’s web properties.
- Oversaw a team of 10-15writers and editors to create engaging, high-quality content for Income Store websites.
- Tracked, edited, and optimized content for clarity, readability, SEO, social sharing, user experience (UX), and monetization.
- Worked closely with Marketing Strategy Director to create content plans using relevant keywords with high traffic and low keyword difficulty scores.
- Used Google Analytics, BuzzSumo, SEMrush, and AHREFs to identify content opportunities and areas in need of improvement.
- Created style guides and documented standard operating procedures (SOPs) for tasks and processes.